It’s been a slow week this week, which is definitely a reflection on me rather than the Internet…
- Rectify | Slow, deliberate, and highly enjoyable to watch the stories unfold.
- What We Do In The Shadows | Funny, sweet and all about vampires. How could I not love it?
I have subscribed to Seamwork Magazine since the beginning, but it wasn’t until yesterday I got fed up enough with downloading and renaming the various files each issue is comprised of to actually do something about it.
I made a couple of Hazel rules (in order. This is important!) in my Downloads watched folder, I’m sure I’ve either done it “wrong” or in a terribly clunky way, but it works and that will do for now.
So now all I have to do is download the magazine PDF or pattern zip file in question to my downloads folder and they are automagically unzipped, renamed, tagged and moved to the correct locations and any leftover folders are deleted.
The Downloads watched folder
Act on Seamwork Folder
Seamwork Patterns Rename, Tag & Move
Seamwork Magazine Rename, Tag & Move
I replaced as follows (quotes not included, merely to show spaces etc.):
“seamwork-” with “Seamwork ”
“-all-1127” with “ all”
“-content-1127” with “ content”
“-instructions-1127” with “ instructions”
“-wide-1127” with “ wide”
“-“ with “ – “
I also checked Title Case.
I couldn’t resist the newest DIYFluffies (manatee!) pattern, and bought it immediately. I love manatees and I love plushies, and I love DIYFluffies plushie patterns especially.
It came out a little wonky, but cute enough, and was absolutely easy enough for me to want to give it another try. This was the first time I tried attaching details like eyes, and nostrils with satin stitch and I think with some practice I can probably get them looking quite nice. Fabric is a cheap fleece blanket from IKEA which seems to be discontinued now, which is a pity since it’s pretty much the perfect manatee colour. Eyes are bits of felt from Stoff og Stil I cut into extremely wobbly circles.
I made Nightshade a little tent to hide and snuggle in, based on the pattern and tutorial by Kid Giddy on Sew Mama Sew. I only used the sewing instructions as I had to make it bigger than the original, and ended up drafting a pattern myself.
I used a cheap fleece Ikea blanket for most of it, a piece of polar fleece from Stoff og Stil for the internal floor, and Pem piping from Jula for the structural support.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with the rest of the Pem piping, I have a lot left.
Nightshade seems to enjoy it a bit at least.
I finally decided to just make the pattern weights that I so sorely need. I was tired of piling various sewing tools on top of my pattern/fabric to hold it down. I’d been putting off making my own sewn weights because all the patterns and tutorials I’d found demanded hand sewing to finish them off. Well, I hate hand sewing, hence no pattern weights were made.
After making a number of the pattern weights using the free pattern so kindly provided by Tea Rose Home, it turns out I don’t actually hate hand sewing, I quite like it. I’m terrible at it, but at least I won’t avoid it in the future.
I made a pop up thread catcher for Mr Blue, as his embroidery tends to leave tiny bits of floss floating all over. It was tricky and took a goodly amount of hand sewing, but was very doable. The tutorial I used from quilary avoids as much hand sewing as possible. One deer damask ice tile fat quarter from Spoonflower, an empty Weetabix box, a batting scrap and some ½” rigilene boning later…